May the 4th Be With You!

Hello all!

I figured today was a great day to talk about one of my favorite things: Star Wars!

I still remember the very first time I ever saw Star Wars. I was 5 years old and my dad took my brother and I to a 10 year anniversary showing of Return of the Jedi a local movie theater was having. Unlike my brother, I hadn't seen any of the movies and barely even knew what they were about, I just went because I needed to do everything that my brother did. Little did I know that my tiny little 5 year old mind was about to be blown.

I remember sitting on the edge of my seat with my mouth hung open in awe the entire time, and leaving the theater at the end thinking that I had just seen the greatest thing in the world. From that moment on, I was hooked. I religiously watched all our VHS' to the point where I probably ruined them from overuse, spent my time daydreaming over which planet I would want to live on (Endor or Alderaan, pre-Death Star destruction, of course), arguing with anyone who thought that Greedo shot first and hoarding any collectible/memorabilia I could get my hands on.

Now, I don't know if I was setting myself up for this, or if kids really do just go through a mean streak, but I started getting made fun of in school for my love (ok, obsession) for Star Wars and I remember I would try to hide it because it wasn't the "cool thing," especially for a girl, to love Star Wars. Then when I was in middle school, the prequels started coming out and the same people who ragged on me were now the "biggest fans" of the franchise, and I couldn't for the life of my figure out why I was letting the opinions of such fair-weather people affect me so much. I had been cruisin' around the galaxy far, far away since I was a babe, and thought to myself that Leia wouldn't quiet herself over what other people thought (especially those who were just jumping on the trend), and dangit, neither would I! I have been displaying my love, proudly and unapologetically, ever since.

Along with my love, came a ton of collectibles. Anything Star Wars related was fair game-- be it toys, clothing, baking accessories, you name it. If it had something to do with Star Wars either I bought it or someone I know bought it for me. I even have a "weapon wall" which just consists of two lightsabers and Han's blaster. I'm pretty sure I could almost be eligible for my own Hoarders episode at this point. There was a time in high school when I started making my own clothing, and I would make countless Star Wars related things. I even made a bag out of little boy bed sheets and used it to carry my school books in. I didn't stop at crafts though, I made every username for every online account "HeatherSkywalkr" and once I got old enough, started showing off my love in tattoo version.

As I got older, I started getting into the expanded universe and the graphic novels, as well. I loved that there were whole other worlds to explore and characters to met outside of the ones we knew so well from the films. I loved reading more about what happens to Luke, Leia and Han and the different adventures they get into, and following along as their families expanded and all the joy and heartbreak that led to. I love finding new characters to relate to, too. Star Wars is one of those things that no matter who you are, or what you're going through, there's a character that you can identify with; someone who makes you feel like you're not alone.

Star Wars is a movie that I hold on a whole other level. It's got action, adventure, romance, strong females and not to mention, a young Harrison Ford who is the babliest of babes. It also teaches you a lot about friendship and fighting for what you believe in even if it's hard. Every few months, I'll spend a weekend just power marathoning all the Episodes and everyone always asks me if I ever get tired of it, and truthfully, no. These movies have been with me since I was 5 years old. That's almost 23 years. In all that time, these characters have seen me through tough times and great times, it really is such a comfort movie to me. I can't even fully hate on the prequels, because even though they had their moments, they're still Star Wars movies and no matter what I'm going to love it.

Everyone I know always jokes about how anything Star Wars related makes them think of me, or how I love Star Wars more than I love some of my own friends/family members, and I get so giddy about that. I'm always down to talk for hours about anything related to it and that's something I don't think I'll ever stop. I will always feel a sense of childlike wonder when it comes to Star Wars and I'm so grateful for what these movies have done for me over the years and how they've made me feel. So, the way I see it, there are worse things to be known for than the "Star Wars girl."

Now, with all this talk I think it's time to go binge watch it. May the Force be with you!

Comments

Popular Posts