In honor of the Olympics starting up, I figured I'd go with a sports theme for this Top 5. I was never athletic growing up; in fact, my Mom signed me up for softball when I was around 7 or 8 and when it was my teams turn out in the field, I used to sit down and pick at the grass. I've always been a total klutz and I have asthma, so needless to say, me and sports were never friends. Despite my athletic shortcomings, these movies always made me feel like I could be part of the team.
1. Little Giants: I love this movie, like it's actually one of my favorite movies ever. I can quote pretty much the entire thing and never get tired of it. It's just so freakin' good. Also, after all these years I still wish I was Becky "The Icebox" O'Shea.
2. Space Jam: I mean, come awwwn. Of course I had to pick Space Jam. How could you go wrong with Michael Jordan and Looney Tunes? And Bill Murray! I once went with my brother to a basketball game and I kept heckling the teams about how the Monstars took their talent.
3. The Sandlot: This was a staple of my childhood. During the summers, all the kids on my block would come out to play stickball or kickball and pretty much pretend we were in this movie. I even have a Squints jersey and can never say "forever" without going "for-ev-er."
4. The Mighty Ducks (any of them): I don't know about you guys, but there's always one movie in a trilogy that I always think is slightly less good than all the others. This is so not the cast for these, I genuinely love every Mighty Ducks movie. I mean, you have Goldberg and Averman who are hilarious, the Bash Brothers and a swoon worthy young Joshua Jackson. This is another movie that I watched over and over again wishing I was Julie "The Cat" Gaffney (I sure do have a thing for characters with nicknames). My only issue with this one is the Knuckle puck move in D2. Yeah, it's Russ Tyler's signature move and blahblahblah, but it takes so much time to set up and the accuracy is always iffy. You're playin' in the big leagues now Russ, pick a better move.
5. The Big Green: Soccer was the only sport I ever actually wanted to play. I almost tried out in high school, but then I remembered how much I'm not a sports person and even the thought of practices tired me. I'll just live vicariously through this movie, it's fine. I used to rent this out from the library constantly. I still think the most nerve-racking soccer match ever was the Big Green vs the Knights.
Bring it On: I've never met a person who doesn't like this movie. It's just so fun.
What're some of your favorites? Lemme know!